By Dennis Baron
Pcs, now the writer's software of selection, are nonetheless blamed by means of skeptics for various ills, from rushing writing as much as the purpose of recklessness, to complicating or trivializing the writing method, to destroying the English language itself.
A higher Pencil places our advanced, still-evolving hate-love dating with pcs and the net into point of view, describing how the electronic revolution impacts our analyzing and writing practices, and the way the most recent applied sciences fluctuate from what got here sooner than. The booklet explores our use of pcs as writing instruments in gentle of the background of conversation expertise, a background of the way we like, worry, and really use our writing technologies--not simply desktops, but additionally typewriters, pencils, and clay pills. Dennis Baron exhibits that almost all writing implements--and even writing itself--were greeted at the beginning with anxiousness and outrage: the printing press disrupted the "almost non secular connection" among the author and the web page; the typewriter used to be "impersonal and noisy" and could "destroy the artwork of handwriting." either pencils and pcs have been created for initiatives that had not anything to do with writing. Pencils, crafted by way of woodworkers for marking up their forums, have been quick repurposed through writers and artists. the pc crunched numbers, now not phrases, until eventually writers observed it because the subsequent writing computing device. Baron additionally explores the hot genres that the pc has introduced: electronic mail, the moment message, the net web page, the weblog, social-networking pages like MySpace and fb, and communally-generated texts like Wikipedia and the city Dictionary, let alone YouTube.
Here then is an engaging heritage of our tangled dealings with quite a lot of writing tools, from historical papyrus to the fashionable machine. With dozens of illustrations and lots of colourful anecdotes, the ebook will enthrall a person drawn to language, literacy, or writing.
Read or Download A Better Pencil: Readers, Writers, and the Digital Revolution PDF
Best writing books
Should you love technological know-how fiction and want to write a few of your personal, this booklet offers you useful recommendation. Describing the different sorts of technology fiction and delusion genres and subgenres, it explains every thing from how placing your manuscript jointly to getting it picked up by means of a writer, and indicates appropriate assets to place you sooner than the pack.
<h2>Learn tips to Create tales That Captivate brokers, Editors, and Readers Alike! </h2>
Inside you'll locate the instruments you must construct robust characters, retain your plots relocating, grasp the paintings of debate, pick out the proper perspective, and more.
This accomplished e-book at the paintings of novel and brief tale writing is filled with suggestion and guide from best-selling authors and writing specialists like Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Sims, Hallie Ephron, N. M. Kelby, Heather dealers, and Donald Maass, plus a foreword via James Scott Bell. You'll study necessary abilities for getting to know each sector of the craft: * outline and refine your characters.
* Make your plot and clash high-energy and intense.
* Hone your story's aspect of view.
* Create a wealthy environment and backstory.
* Craft discussion that jewelry true.
* decide upon the best phrases and outlines all through your story.
* Revise your tale to perfection.
Throughout you'll locate supplemental sections that disguise unique subject matters like getting began, beating writer's block, getting to know your paintings, and getting released. They'll assist you combine your talents right into a balanced, efficient, and satisfying career.
Whether you're writing flash fiction, a quick tale, a unique, or an epic trilogy, you'll come away with the instruments you would like for powerful and powerful storytelling.
WRITING STEAMPUNK is a trip into development Steampunk fiction. There are offerings to be made with reference to period, characters, and international development. And there's examine to do. Why? simply because Steampunk is substitute background and a few tinkering might want to be performed. an inventory of Steampunk novels is incorporated, in addition to a listing of publishers more likely to have an interest in Steampunk, a short evaluate of occasions, discoveries and innovations of the nineteenth and early twentieth century, and many encouragement, feedback and examples are given.
El Gotham Writers’ Workshop es en los angeles actualidad l. a. escuela de escritura creativa más prestigiosa de Estados Unidos.
Escribir ficción recoge de un modo práctico y accesible las técnicas que han hecho famosa a esta escuela en todo el mundo. En este libro encontrarás:
- Los elementos fundamentales del oficio de escribir: personaje, argumento, punto de vista, etcétera, explicados de una manera exhaustiva y a los angeles vez muy amena.
- Conceptos clave del arte de escribir ilustrados con ejemplos tomados de grandes obras de los angeles literatura de ficción.
- El texto completo de «Catedral» de Raymond Carver, una de las obras maestras del cuento contemporáneo, que se va analizando a lo largo de todo el libro.
- Ejercicios prácticos para aplicar a tu propia escritura todo lo que vas aprendiendo.
Al terminar de leerlo serás capaz de transformar tus principles en cuentos y en novelas. Eso es ser escritor.
- Rewrite Right!: Your Guide to Perfectly Polished Prose (2nd Edition)
- Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
- Greek writing in its aesthetic context: Archaic and Hellenistic arts and letters - Ph.D., The University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2004
- Writing Wales, from the Renaissance to Romanticism
- Stunning Sentences (The Effective Writing Series)
Additional info for A Better Pencil: Readers, Writers, and the Digital Revolution
She gave her students a series of interview questions to which they were to add at least three questions of their own. Then she modeled an interview for them, had them interview each other about one of their freshman composition essays, and arranged times for them to meet with Sherman's and Breihan's students. Although we were aware that the usefulness of interview data produced by unskilled interviewers would be limited, we did get frank responses from the history and the business students and a valuable sample of student-to-student language.
This is to be expected, since our students were trained only briefly and worked with no researcher present. From some students, we got only glimpses of their processes when we wished we could have had a steady gaze; for example, some were thinking aloud on tape when, just as things were getting interesting, they turned the recorder off. We then got from many of those students a summary of what we had missed, which they recorded later. Moreover, there were some students who never produced concurrent thoughts or useful introspection, but rather said aloud on tape only the words they were writing on the page.
2. In the business, history, and psychology classes, 100 percent of students submitted some usable data. In the biology class 85 percent of the students did so. Students' Logs From all students, we requested a writing log in which they would record their activities and their thinking as they worked on the assignment. Activities included planning, gathering information, reading, note making, consulting with other people, drafting, and revising. Sherman's business students and Breihan's history students were asked to keep logs for the entire semester because we were tracking student development in their classes.
A Better Pencil: Readers, Writers, and the Digital Revolution by Dennis Baron